Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Is it a gift to have faith?

Mama and I were talking on the phone earlier today and I asked her how their revival was going at her church this week. She said it was wonderful with around 40+ in attendance. :0) I asked her to tell me something she's learned. (I'm especially hungry for the Word these days.... ;0) She said the topic came up on whether or not faith was a gift.... meaning that it was like a talent given from God. My immediate answer and thought to that was "no" that it's a command. She said she thought so, too but that there was a lady in their church who was convinced that to have faith that it was a "gift" of God--- the same as a talent is a gift of God.

So, with this hunger in my soul for Truth I had to study this topic and discern for myself what the answer was. After studying for just a short time I found scripture after scripture where God talks about faith. It 2 Chronicles 20:20 we are told to HAVE faith. In Isaiah 7:9 it says that if we don't stand firm in our faith and we will not stand at all. The next one I came to was the Lord's response to Habakkuk in Hab. 2:4 was that the righteous will live by faith. The scriptures go on and on......

Malachi 2:16 ".. guard yourself in spirit and do not break faith..."
Matthew 6:30 "... oh you of little faith..."
Matthew 8:10 (Jesus is looking for people of faith)
Matthew 8:26 ".... you of little faith..."
Matthew 9:29 ".... according to your faith will it be done unto you" (a girl was healed)
Matthew 13:58 He (Jesus) did not do many miracles because of their lack of faith
Matthew 17:21 ".... the faith of a mustard seed...."

There are so many more verses to back this up, but I stopped and was content with the answer when I got to the scripture about the mustard seed. :0)

Faith is not a gift.... it's a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment